Mumias Sugar Blames Rivals, Weather as Cane Backlog Bites


By Grace Mwende Makovu

NAIROBI, Kenya, February 17, 2026 - Mumias Sugar Company has issued a detailed explanation to farmers over prolonged delays in cane harvesting, citing overlapping ownership disputes with rival millers, a three-month industry shutdown, and difficult terrain in Busia County as the primary obstacles to smooth operations.

In a public notice dated February 11, 2026, the miller acknowledged that harvesting activities have been severely disrupted by conflicts in the field over claims of self-developed cane.

The company specifically named competitors West Kenya Sugar Company and Busia Sugar Industry, alleging that overlapping claims have led to complaints lodged with regulators and interruptions to harvesting operations, including the harassment of harvesting teams.

The statement from Mumias Sugar reveals a chaotic situation in the sugarcane belt where multiple millers are operating in close proximity. With West Kenya and Busia Sugar both active in the region, disputes have erupted over cane that farmers developed themselves but which different factories claim as their own.

"In some cases, cane registered with us has been claimed by others or subjected to complaints and disputes raised to regulators," the company stated. "This has led to field conflicts and interruptions, including harassment of harvesting teams, which slows down operations and scheduling."

The competition for cane comes against a backdrop of broader industry restructuring. The government has leased several state-owned factories to private investors, with West Kenya Sugar - owned by the Rai family - taking over Nzoia Sugar Factory in 2025 with plans to invest KSh5.6 billion in rehabilitation.

Beyond the inter-miller conflicts, Mumias Sugar pointed to geographical challenges that have complicated harvesting logistics. Approximately 75 per cent of cane in the Busia region is grown in lowland zones, which become difficult to access with changing weather and soil conditions.

The company said it continues to invest in additional tractors, trucks, loaders, and winches to reach more farms and improve turnaround time. This commitment to mechanisation, however, has sparked tension with local workers.

In early February, Kakamega Governor Fernandes Barasa opposed plans by Mumias Sugar to replace 500 cane loaders and harvesters with loading machines, warning of a "socio-economic crisis."

Mumias Sugar Operations Manager Stephen Kihumba defended the company's position, stating that the factory actually needs more loaders following the purchase of additional tractors.

"With extra purchases and increased Out-growers supply, more loaders are needed," Kihumba said, while accusing loaders of frustrating farmers by demanding more money for less work.

The company also cited the impact of a three-month closure of the sugar sector last year—a measure intended to allow cane to mature.

 
According to the Kenya Sugar Board, the shutdown was ordered to address the harvesting of immature cane, which had been compromising sugar quality and yields.

However, the unintended consequence has been a bottleneck. With all farmers eager to harvest before the long rains begin, the resumption of operations coincided with a surge in mature cane ready for processing.

 Mumias Sugar noted that its daily crushing capacity is currently regulated at about 2,500 tons, creating pressure on harvesting teams.

For farmers in the Mumias region, the latest delays evoke painful memories. More than 76,000 farmers abandoned sugarcane farming in Mumias in previous years, driven by the failure of the factory to pay KSh600 million in dues accrued over two years. Many uprooted cane to plant maize, groundnuts, and soya beans.

The government has made efforts to clear historical debts, announcing plans to pay KSh2.6 billion owed to sugarcane farmers from as far back as 2014. Mumias farmers alone were owed KSh889 million in that arrears clearance exercise.

Despite the challenges, Mumias Sugar reaffirmed its commitment to farmers, promising: Harvesting of all properly registered cane, Scaling up of equipment and capacity, Maintenance of weekly payment programs and continuous improvement in coordination and scheduling.

The company urged farmers to work closely with field officers and protect orderly harvesting arrangements to enable faster service delivery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People's Liberation Party Endorses Martha Karua for 2027 Presidential Bid, Vows to Reclaim Kenya’s Republic

Nairobi Central MCA John Mwaniki Champions CBD Transformation to Attract Global Investors

Incoming ODM Nairobi Chairlady Rosemary Okuta Promises to Transform Nairobi